Contest Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
Manufacturing the Future Contest
Official Contest Rules
NO PURCHASE OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
1. SPONSOR: The Manufacturing the Future Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by Next Generation Manufacturing Canada, Suite 301, 175 Longwood Road South, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8P 0A1 (the “Sponsor”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open to legal residents of Canada who: (i) are between the ages of fifteen (15) and eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry into this Contest; (ii) are planning to enter post-secondary education in Canada within twenty-four (24) months of entering into this Contest; and (iii) if they are under the legal age of majority in their province/territory of residence (a “Minor”), have the consent of their parent/legal guardian to participate in the Contest. This Contest is not open to employees, representatives, mandataries or agents of the Sponsor, its parent, related and affiliated companies, subsidiaries, departments or agencies, franchisees, suppliers, advertising and promotional agencies, contest administrators, and any other parties engaged in the development, production or distribution of Contest materials, members of the Sponsor’s panel of judges, and any person living in the same household as such Individuals.
By participating in this Contest, each entrant (and their parent/legal guardian on their behalf if the entrant is a Minor) acknowledges compliance with, and agrees to be legally bound by, these Contest Rules. Entrants who do not comply with any of the Contest Rules are subject to disqualification by the Sponsor, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO MINORS: The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, on a random audit basis to contact your parent/legal guardian for the purposes of verifying his/her: (i) agreement to be legally bound by these Contest Rules on your behalf; (ii) consent to your participation in this Contest; and/or (iii) consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. Failure of your parent/legal guardian to complete any such required verification to the complete satisfaction of the Sponsor within the time frame specified by the Sponsor may, in the sole discretion of the Sponsor, result in your disqualification.
3. CONTEST DATES AND TIMES: The Contest begins on May 13, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EST and ends on June 2, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST (the “Contest End Date”) after which time the Contest will be closed and no further entries shall be accepted.
4. HOW TO ENTER: You can enter this Contest by doing all of the following:
- Submitting an essay of five hundred (500) words or less (in English or French) at www.careersofthefuture.ca on the following topic: “What problem do you think advanced manufacturing could solve in the future? And, what role would you like to play in making it happen?” (the “Essay”).
- Entering your full name, age, province/territory of residence, valid e-mail address and telephone number.
- If you are a Minor, entering the full name, valid email address and telephone number of your parent or legal guardian.
“Advanced Manufacturing” includes, but is not limited to, computer technologies, automation, artificial intelligence and machine learning, robotics and 3-D printing. All entries are subject to the Entry Submission Rules below. All entries must be unique in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Any entrant that submits two or more entries into this Contest that are the same or partially the same in any respect will be disqualified and will not be entitled to win any prize. For this Contest receipt of an Internet entry occurs when Sponsor’s server records the entry information. All entries must be complete and are subject to verification by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
Any attempt or suspected attempt to use robotic, automatic, programmed, or otherwise, illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by these Contest Rules, for example, but not limited to, creating multiple accounts, identities, or registrations, all in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, shall be deemed as tampering and may disqualify you from entering, participating and/or winning a prize. Entries that contain false or incomplete information are void. Entries that are late, lost, stolen, illegible, contain false information, are damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete, altered or otherwise irregular or that do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions of the Contest Rules are void. No correspondence will be entered into except with Selected Entrants (and, if a Minor, their parent/legal guardian). Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of entry or receipt of an entry.
Entry Submission Rules
All entries are subject to the following rules:
- Essays must comply with all Contest Rules, be the original work of the entrant, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards and must not infringe upon the copyrights, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity.
- Entrants grant the Sponsor a non-exclusive and irrevocable license to use their Submissions for the administration of this Contest and in any advertising, marketing or publicity, without notice or compensation, as may be edited, modified or translated in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. All entrants waive any moral rights they may have or claim in relation to their Submissions in favour of the Sponsor (and anyone authorized by the Sponsor to use their Submissions).
- The Sponsor may determine, in its sole discretion, whether or not to accept or use the Essay for any purpose, including for entering this Contest or any marketing or publicity.
- The Essay cannot include any of the following, all of which shall be determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion:
- Content that is sexually explicit or suggestive, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, profane or describe any dangerous activity.
- Content that promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that are unsafe or dangerous or any particular political agenda or message.
- Content that is obscene or offensive or endorses any form of hate or hate group.
- Content that defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about the Sponsor or other people, products or companies.
- Any copyrighted content or other content subject to 3rd party intellectual property rights – unless you have obtained permission from the content owner(s) to do so.
- References to the name of any person without permission from that person (and their parent/legal guardian if they are a Minor) for the entrant and the Sponsor to reproduce it.
- Any other messages, content or materials that are or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
5. CONTEST PRIZES: There are a total of ten (10) bursary prizes of $10,000 each available to be won, which must be used for post-secondary education costs.
Contest prizes may be awarded in one or more payments by the Sponsor by way of Electronic Funds Transfers (“EFT”) or other means of payment directly to winner (or to their parent or legal guardian if the winner is a Minor) or, alternatively, to any post-secondary institution chosen by a winner, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to: (i) require documentation, to the satisfaction of the Sponsor, that a winner has enrolled in or will enroll in a post-secondary education program; (ii) approve any post-secondary institution proposed by a winner; (iii) not award any or all of any prize to a winner that decides not to engage in a post-secondary education program or withdraws from such a program; and (iv) award less than ten (10) prizes if there are less than ten (10) entrants that fulfill the entry criteria for this Contest.
All winners assume any and all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by entering, participating in this Contest or use or redemption of a prize. Prizes must be accepted as awarded. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an alternate prize of equal or greater value for any reason if an advertised prize is unavailable at time of award, subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (the “RACJ”) for Quebec legal residents.
6. ODDS OF WINNING: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received before the Contest End Date and entrants’ skill meeting the entry criteria.
7. WINNER SELECTION AND CONFIRMATION: The winner selection process for this Contest shall be as follows:
Selection of Contest Finalists
After the Contest End Date the Sponsor’s personnel will review all of the eligible entries received and select a shortlist of up to twenty-five (25) finalists (“Contest Finalists”) to be judged by the Sponsor’s judges.
Contest Finalists will be chosen based on the following equally weighted criteria, each of which on a scale of 1-10 points: (i) the entrant has demonstrated a desire to pursue a career in advanced manufacturing through their entry; and (ii) the entrant has demonstrated an understanding that a career in advanced manufacturing has the potential to:
- be innovating, exciting and diversified;
- make a positive impact on the world and build communities;
- solve the problems of our future;
- provide a rewarding, dynamic and forward-looking career path (collectively, the “Selection Criteria”).
Selection of Winners
Ten (10) potential winners (the “Selected Entrants”) will be chosen by the Sponsor’s panel of judges from among the Contest Finalists based on the highest cumulative scores received for the Selection Criteria at 11:00 a.m. EST on June 9, 2021 at the Sponsor’s offices located at Suite 301, 175 Longwood Road South, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8P 0A1. In the event of a tie or more than ten (10) potential winners being chosen based on their scores, the ten (10) finalists will be chosen based on the following additional criteria on a score of 1-10: the entrant has detailed how their post-secondary plans match up with the skills required to succeed in advanced manufacturing. Subject to compliance with these Contest Rules, Selected Entrants will be deemed winners if they meet all of the eligibility and other criteria set out in these Contest Rules. Winners will be announced on July 5, 2021 on www.careersofthefuture.ca and potentially via media outlets selected by the Sponsor.
Before being declared a winner, each Selected Entrant will be required to: (i) sign and return the Sponsor’s Declaration of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release form (“Winner Release”); (ii) have their parent or legal guardian sign and return the Sponsor’s Guardian Release if the Selected Entrant is a Minor; (iii) sign (and have his/her parent/legal guardian sign if they are a Minor) the Sponsor’s contract agreeing to use their prize for post-secondary education; (iv) provide the Sponsor with their banking information (or the banking information of their parent/legal guardian if they are a Minor) sufficient to facilitate an EFT; (v) possess all visas or any other documentation required at the time of the award of the prize to engage in post-secondary education in Canada to the Sponsor’s satisfaction; and (vi) comply with all other Contest Rules, all in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
Selected Entrants will be notified by 5:00 p.m. EST on June 10, 2021 and will be contacted by way of the e-mail address or telephone number provided at the time of entry into this Contest. Up to three attempts will be made to contact each Selected Entrant. A Selected Entrant that does not or cannot accept a prize for any reason may be forfeited and a new Selected Entrant (or entrants if required) selected based on the Selection Criteria. Signed copies of the Sponsor’s Winner Release and Guardian Release (if applicable) must be received by the Sponsor no later than June 23, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. EST at: [email protected]. Sponsor is not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever of a Selected Entrant to receive notification or for the Sponsor to receive a Selected Entrant’s response. Contest prizes will be awarded by July 5, 2021 when winners are announced by the Sponsor.
NO ONE IS A WINNER UNLESS AND UNTIL THE SPONSOR OFFICIALLY CONFIRMS THEM AS A WINNER IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE RULES.
Disputes regarding identity of entrant: If the identity of a Selected Entrant is disputed, the entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the Authorized Account Holder (the individual assigned to the e-mail address or, if applicable for entry, social media handle associated with the entry). Each Selected Entrant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the Authorized Account Holder associated with the selected entry.
8. RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION: All winners must sign the Sponsor’s Winner Release to: (i) confirm compliance with the Contest Rules; (ii) agree to accept the prize as awarded; (iii) release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor, its departments and agencies, parent, related and affiliated companies, subsidiaries, franchisees, advertising and promotional agencies, counsel, marketing partners, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, shareholders, successors, sponsors, partners, licensees, subsidiaries, agents, mandataries, artists, advisors, assignees, and all others associated with the administration, development and execution of the Contest (the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all manner of action, cause of action, claim or demand, loss or injury, use or misuse of a prize, and the use of the entry by the Sponsor, suit, debt, covenant, contract, including legal fees and expenses, whatsoever, including but not limited to, claims based on negligence, breach of contract and fundamental breach, failure of any third party contractor or supplier used in connection with any aspect of the Contest to perform or deliver any goods or services, any act of God or any other event beyond the Released Parties’ control, any dissatisfaction of any kind by a winner with any aspect of the Contest or any prize, liability for physical injury, death, or property damage which the entrants, guests, their heirs, successors or assigns have, might have or could have suffered, by reason of or arising out of the entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by the entrant of the Prize as awarded; and (iv) indemnify the Released Parties against any loss, damage or expense, including legal fees, that any of the Released Parties may suffer or incur as a result of any non-compliance by an entrant with any of the Contest Rules or participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by an entrant of a prize and the use of the entry by Sponsor. All winners who are Minors must also return sign copies of the Sponsor’s Guardian Release.
The Sponsor and other Released Parties are not responsible for: (i) incorrect or inaccurate entry information which may affect a person’s ability to participate in the Contest or be awarded a prize, including but not limited to human error, technical malfunctions, lost or delayed entries for any reason, mail failures, omission, or any combination thereof, and entries which fail to fully comply with these Contest Rules; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (iii) lost, incomplete, delayed, mutilated or misdirected entries or Winner Releases or Guardian Releases; (iv) injury or damage to the entrant’s computer or other device, or to any other individual’s computer or other device related to or resulting from participating in, or downloading any material regarding the Contest or accepting a prize; (v) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in this Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize and the use of an entry by Sponsor; (vi) the security or privacy of information transmitted via computer networks or for breaches of privacy due to interference by third party computer “hackers” or otherwise; or (vii) late, lost, misdirected or unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential winner.
9. OTHER CONDITIONS: The Sponsor reserves the right, subject only to prior consent of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (the “RACJ”), to terminate or amend this Contest at any time and in any way, without prior notice. Without limiting the foregoing, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned for any reason, the Sponsor reserves the right, subject only to the approval of the RACJ, to cancel the Contest and select winners based on the Selection Criteria from entries received before the Contest was cancelled.
ANYONE DEEMED BY THE SPONSOR TO BE IN VIOLATION OF THE SPONSOR’S INTERPRETATION OF THE LETTER AND/OR SPIRIT OF THESE CONTEST RULES FOR ANY REASON IS SUBJECT TO DISQUALIFICATION IN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE SPONSOR AT ANY TIME.
Law: This Contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial, municipal and local laws. To the fullest extent permitted by law, this Contest shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of Ontario and any federal laws applicable therein, including all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Contest Rules, rights and obligations between entrants and the Sponsor, and procedural provisions, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules. Any dispute shall be adjudicated by the courts sitting in Toronto, Ontario.
FOR RESIDENTS OF QUEBEC ONLY: Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the board only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
Rule amendments: The Sponsor reserves the right, subject only to the approval of the RACJ, to amend these Contest Rules, or modify, cancel or suspend this Contest, without prior notice for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation in the event that any cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor corrupts, or threatens to corrupt, the security or proper administration of the Contest. If the Contest is terminated before the designated end date, subject only to the approval of the RACJ, the Sponsor will (if possible) select another winner(s) based on the Selection Criteria from all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination. Inclusion in such drawing shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances. The Sponsor reserves the right, subject only to the approval of the RACJ, to adjust any of the dates, timeframes and/or other Contest mechanics stipulated in these Contest Rules, to the extent deemed necessary by Sponsor, for purposes of verifying compliance by any entrant, entry, Submission and/or other information with these Rules, or as a result of any technical or other problems, or in light of any other circumstances which, in the opinion of the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, affect the proper administration of the Contest as contemplated in these Contest Rules, or for any other reason.
Intellectual Property: All intellectual property, including but not limited to trademarks, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, images, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by the Sponsor. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or other intellectual property without the express written consent of the Sponsor is strictly prohibited. The Sponsor’s marketing or other partners, if any, shall also have access to and rights to reproduce, copy or otherwise use any materials generated by this Contest or any submissions or materials generated by entrants.
© Next Generation Manufacturing Canada 2021. All Rights Reserved.